Injured on Vacation? Injuries to Tourists Can Lead to Complications

When it comes to personal injuries, the law that applies to an accident is typically local. Minnesota law applies to an accident in Minnesota in most cases, regardless of where the parties come from. If you are injured on vacation, that can make things difficult.

Common Tourist Accidents

Tourists are often injured in slip-and-fall accidents or motor vehicle accidents. Car crashes are more common when school is out, like during Spring Break or summer vacation. Holidays like the 4th of July and Christmas are also high points for car accidents. This increases the chances that someone on vacation will end up hurt in an accident.

Slip-and-fall accidents are common for tourists because they often happen in places where tourists congregate. Hotels, swimming pools, and entertainment venues are just some of the spots where premises liability claims are not unusual. 

Slip-and-fall cases are one possible exception to the requirement that you file a lawsuit where the accident occurred. If you are hurt while on the premises of a business if that business operates in your home state, you may be able to sue there.

Steps to Take If You Are in an Accident and Injured

Your circumstances will dictate much of what happens after an accident. You should do your best to accomplish as many of these steps as possible.

  • Seek medical treatment: The first step after an accident is always to take care of your medical needs.
  • Gather evidence: If possible, you should get photos of the accident scene, injuries and the surroundings. You should also get contact information from any witnesses to the accident. Take notes about everything you can remember regarding the accident.
  • Go through the process: If you are injured at a place of business, they may have an accident form to fill out. If law enforcement is contacted, you may need to speak to the police. Don’t lie, but don’t volunteer information you aren’t certain of.
  • Contact an attorney: The sooner you have a personal injury lawyer on your side, the better your chances of getting proper compensation.

Hurt While on Vacation? Call White & Associates

An injury can ruin your vacation, but the consequences can run far deeper than that. If you were hurt while on vacation, you need to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible. Call White & Associates at 763-241-0477 or send us a message to schedule a consultation.

Related Posts