Slip-and-fall accidents account for over 1 million emergency visits each year, according to the NFSI. Unfortunately, slip-and-falls typically occur unexpectedly. It’s up to you to understand the next steps you should take if you should experience a fall.
What Should You Do After a Slip-and-Fall Accident?
After a slip-and-fall accident, there are some necessary steps to take.
- Reach out for medical attention. Call for emergency medical attention or visit your nearest emergency department or walk-in clinic for medical assistance. Although you may look unscathed, some injuries may show up later, especially head injuries.
- Look at your surroundings. See if you can identify what caused your fall. For example, did you trip on a cord or a rug? Did you slip in some water on the floor? This is critical if you decide to build a personal injury
- Gather evidence, if applicable. Try your best to take photos of the scene. Include photos of the area in which you fell, the item or circumstance that caused your fall and any other evidence you can find.
- Speak to witnesses. If you’re inside a store or another establishment where there are other people around, and they witnessed your fall, ask for their contact information. If you decide to pursue a personal injury case, your attorney will contact these witnesses.
- File an accident report. If you’re inside a business, fill out their accident report.
Consider Working With a Slip-and-Fall Attorney
If you suffer an injury after a fall, you may require compensation to pay for your medical bills and time away from work. A slip-and-fall attorney can help you receive what you deserve. Consider reaching out to an attorney to help you negotiate with the other party or the other party’s insurance company.
Slip-and-Fall Accident? Reach Out to White & Associates.
At White & Associates, we provide slip-and-fall victims with experienced legal counsel. To learn more about our services or what to do after a slip-and-fall accident, send us a message.